We found Kuya Frank outside our cottage when we arrived from White Island. He was supposed to escort us back to Benoni Port but we made a quick stop-over to Old Church Ruins and The Walkway to Old Vulcano. Our agreement was to hire a habal-habal but he brought a multicab on our last day without asking for extra charges.
During the 16th century, Old Church Ruins or Guiob Church was built in Brgy. Bonbon, Catarman, Camiguin. Just like sunken cemetery, its ruins were one of the results of the 1871 eruption of Mt. Vulcan. Inside the walls that are made up of coral stones, a small chapel was built on where the original church stood. Today, locals still hold massess on the small chapel on specific times.
At the back of the structure was an old convent and a giant tree that is said to have existed four centuries ago. There was no entrance fees being collected upon entering the old church.
We also made a quick stop in the Walkway to Old Volcano but we didn’t proceed with the seven stations due to time constraints. It is located in the slopes of Mount Vulcan. It usually gets filled with devotees who follow the seven stations of the cross as they ascend the slopes. As with the Guiob Church ruins, the Walkway to Old Volcano does not impose entrance fees as well.
Another island in Camiguin that boasts of marine life ideal for snorkeling and one-of-a-kind island life is Mantigue Island. We initally planned to include it in our itinerary but we found it costly so we just snapped its picture from Benoni Port. Maybe someday, I could go there.
Kuya Frank computed our travel time from Camiguin to CDO and knowing that we have a 3:55 flight to Manila, he suggested that we board the ferry departing Benoni Port, Camiguin at 10:00A M. We thought it was early but we followed him. Lucky we did, we arrived 3:00 PM in Lumbia airport , just in time for our check-in.
You may also like:
- Day1P1: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin Itinerary – My First Backpacker Trip
- Day1P2: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Dinner at Kagay-anon Restaurant
- Day2P3: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – White Water Rafting
- Day2P4: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Flying through Asia’s Longest Zipline in Dahilayan Adventure Park
- Day3P5: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – The Grandeur of Maria Cristina Falls
- Day3P6: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – A Tasty Lunch at Tinago Falls
- Day3P7: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Mimbalot Falls
- Day4P8: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Giant Clam Sanctuary
- Day4P9: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Kibila White Beach
- Day4P10: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Sto. Nino Cold Springs
- Day4P11: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Bura Soda Water Park
- Day4P12: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Katibawasan Falls, Sunken Cemetery and Ardent Hot Spring
- Day4P13: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – Pabua Cottages
- Day5P14: CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan-Camiguin – White Island Sunrise